Thursday, July 19, 2012

For the Love of Books

Day #13 - Think of a book you've read and explain why it has made a difference in your life.

I have probably read thousands of books in my life. As a teenager, I devoured them and borrowed huge stacks from the library. I have read so many books that it would be almost impossible to nail down how each one has affected my life or influenced the way I think. However, there are a few books that stand out better in my memory than others.

For example, as a 12 year old, I loved the Lord of the Rings series so much that when I finished reading The Hobbit, I sat down at the piano and wrote a song portraying my interpretation of how the battle at the end of the book felt. This was the first time I consciously realized that I was really inspired by another work of art to create something of my own.

Later, as an adult, I read a fictional novel about Sarah, the wife of Abraham. The book touched and communicated with a part of me that was really struggling. I felt like I was the only one who was dealing with infertility but this book unexpectedly allowed me a window into how another person dealt with this pain. I had read the book for enjoyment, with no intention of using it as a self-help book, but it opened the way toward me being able to discuss this broken part of me with other women and the beginning of learning how to deal with my feelings in a healthy way.

I am a strong advocate for the power of reading and it continues to be one of my favorite leisure activities of all time. Just hand me a bowl of popcorn and a good book and I am set for a happy evening. :)

0 comments: