Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lovely Valentine's Memories

I just love holidays. Really, I do. I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise if you have been reading my previous blog posts.

Valentine's Day holds so many precious memories for me. At midnight last night when I was supposed to be asleep, all I could think of were all those wonderful memories from years past. I love writing down memories, so allow me to share just a few of my favorites with you.

----------------

When I was maybe 5 years old, I remember my sweet mother making a ginormous (to my little eyes) heart shaped cookie for my dad. It was as big as a cake! She let us "help" by letting us stand on chairs watching her handy work. Jen and I were SOOO excited! This had to be THE BEST present of all time! Dad was going to be SO excited! I still remember waiting inpatiently for Dad to come home from work. I had to keep checking on the cookie to make sure it still looked good. When Dad finally got home we could barely contain ourselves. Mom had reminded us to keep her secret, since this was her present for him. I think I had to cover my mouth with my hand, I was almost squealing.

Looking back on this event as an adult brings a sweet smile. My sweet parents, poor as dirt, only 25 years old with three tiny kids, teaching us important lessons in loving your spouse and crafting presents when there is no money to buy any. They set such a terrific example for me and how to treat my own husband.

---------------

Besides the usual excitement from the school valentines, as a small child, Valentine's Day in my home consisted of creating beautiful, pink iced sugar cookies and door-bell ditching loved ones. It was almost as exciting as Christmas! We would argue over would be the runner at each house. Then, we would use our best sneaking to run to the door and run like lightening to the car. I'm sure we were caught several times, but nothing could beat that adrenaline! We would watch from the car wtih glee to see the expressions on Grandma's face (who I'm sure knew we were out there) as she found cookies on the mat. :)

Another wonderful lesson in service that lifts my soul. I am so excited to be a parent and share these experiences with my own children and help them discover the joy of serving others anonymously.

-----------------

Poor Jen. She honestly got the flu EVERY SINGLE YEAR on Valentine's Day. Without fail. My little heart broke for her. We would lovingly make these beautiful, lace covered boxes the night before and she would wake up with a fever or throwing up. It was inevitable. I would take her box to school with me and ask her teacher to pass out her Valentine's. At the end of the day I carried her full box and presented it to her, trying to make her feel like she hadn't missed anything special (even though everyone knows it was THE BEST day of school. Ever.)  I think this went on from Kindergarten to at least 7th grade for her. I'm not sure exactly when her first Valentine's at school was, but I remember we proclaimed that the curse was broken. 

Looking back, I STILL feel bad for Jen. She must have been so sad to be left at home. My little heart was learning so many lessons in sympathy and empathy. I am grateful for a mother who encouraged us to love and serve each other. My relationship with Jen is still a prized thing for me.

---------------------

My first Valentine's Day with a boyfriend was something all girls dream about. I was 22 and had been dating Alexander for 8 months already. I remember the day before Valentine's Day, I wasn't feeling too well. I was exhausted from student teaching and was trying not to get sick. I was lying on his couch after school and he left the room to go get something. Suddenly, from around the corner, this yellow thing came flying at me and landed with a loud "Meh!" I was startled and elated to find that my dear boyfriend had bought me a romantic "Kick the Cheat" stuffed animal from HomestarRunner. I remember thinking "he soo gets me!".  He also presented me with a lovely card and two dozen gorgeous red roses. I was in heaven! Serisouly, what every college girl dreams of. :)

Alexander still "gets me". He treats me constantly with kindnesses, trinkets and little treats filled with inside jokes. I am eternally blessed to have him in my life. There are times when I just sit there staring at him, trying to figure out how it was possible for me to get to be with this awesome guy forever (usually this is when he is doing something he is amazing at, like teaching Gospel Doctrine, or something).


So Happy Valentine's Day to everyone I love! My sweet husband, endearing family and life-long friends, I hope you all have a day that allows you to show how much your loved ones mean to you and that you see how much you are loved in return. :)