Monday, February 4, 2013

Relief Society University Super Saturday

This past Saturday I put on a rather big event for our Relief Society. It was a kick-off for the Relief Society University Challenge that would help the sister's focus on life-long learning and growth. The day was more of a mini-conference and it went surprisingly well.

Our Program of Events:

9:00 - Welcome; Opening Hymn: Improve the Shining Moments
9:15 - Life-Long Learning: Introduction to RS University by Annalee Strub
9:45 - Journal Creation (taking composition notebooks and covering them in scrapbook paper)
10:00 - Brunch Break (breakfast casserole, make your own parfaits, fruit, mini muffins, cranberry juice)
10:30 - Favorite Books (5 min presentations by various sisters sharing their favorite books)
11:00 - Hymn Study (Two sisters gave 15 min presentations on a favorite hymn)
11:30 - Panel Discussion: Making our Homes into Spiritual Havens Where Learning and Growth can be Facilitated- Led by the RS Presidency
--------------------------
My presentation went really well and the sisters seemed genuinely interested in learning about dendrite growth and how our brains learn. 
The journals were a hit! Some sisters thought it would be great to bring them back and display them at our graduation ceremony a year from now. Here is a pic of mine that I made the night before as an example:

Brunch was delicious, if I do say so myself...as I made it. On a serious note, those casseroles are the way to go if you are feeding a crowd! Super easy to make!! I made them the night before and then re-heated them the next morning. The make your own parfaits were also a hit, I provided yogurt, strawberries, blueberries and granola. The mini muffins were made from a Krustez box mix, but they were super moist and delicious!
The rest of the morning went really well. The ladies shared some really great books and the hymn presentations were wonderful and really brought the spirit. The panel discussion was totally off-the-cuff but it looked like we planned it ;). 
The Details:



I went with an apple theme (thanks Melissa!), kind of a vintage school look. So I created little apple favors using cupcake liners and ju ju hearts (thank goodness for Valentine candy!). I think they turned out pretty cute. :)

1 comments:

Melissa said...

Looks like everything turned out perfectly!