Monday, March 24, 2008

Ketchup

Have you ever felt kinda empty inside but you don't know why? It's sort of like a hollow sadness. I have been feeling that way today, like if one more little thing were to go wrong, I might just sit down and cry. The funny thing is, not too much has gone wrong today, so I don't know why I feel this way.

So the bridal fair is this week and I have been crazy trying to get my act in gear. A couple of weeks ago I ordered a vinyl sign from online and I have been waiting to get it for the past week. I had already sent them an email last week and made 3 unanswered phone calls, so today I sent them an email saying that if I didn't hear from them by tomorrow I would take legal action against them. Apparently that scared them as I got both an email and a phone call in which I was told that the store had closed and they were issuing a full refund. Yeah right. Whatever. It was only $30.

I made ketchup today. My Great Grandmother, Grandma Ellen, to whom I was very close, used to make this homemade ketchup that I grew up loving. I was 12 when she died and I had a very difficult time adjusting to eating food without that wonderful condiment. I have a special fondness for eating it with the traditional breakfast Grandma Ellen used to make when I slept over (which was nearly every weekend for 2 years). We would eat fried eggs, toast, bacon, oatmeal with raisins, and orange juice and we always had ketchup with it. When I got married I decided enough was enough and I found the recipe and started bottling it. I was amazed when it tasted exactly how I remembered it. This is the 3rd time I have made it (cause I keep running out!) and all day long the house smells like spices and it brings the sweetest memories of my childhood. Someday I will also learn how to bottle her version of dill pickles and green beans (not together), but for now this is good.

4 comments:

Al said...

Is it "that time of the month"? Or perhaps Thursday is still lingering? Have you cried about that yet? You just need to let the emotions go and flow, girl. Don't bottle and fester.

Wow, homemade ketchup. I'm not really into ketchup, but perhaps I would like the homemade stuff...??? That's cool. I think you're cool. Way to carry on the family tradition. You rock like that!

Al said...

I need to be more like you.

Annalee said...

LOL... You are silly, I don't think you need to be more like me, that might make your head explode ;)

Alexander said...

Way to be, girl!