As you may know, "Let's Play!" is the slogan of the Utah Shakespearean Festival which is held annually in Cedar City, Utah. On Friday my co-worker, Susan, came into work and asked me if I was doing anything fun for the weekend. As usual, my answer was no, we were just going to hang out. However, as I thought about it, the more I felt that I desperately needed to get away (this happens on occasion, I get a spontaneous desire to immediately do something new which my husband has labeled as dangerous).
While doing the monotonous chore of entering registrations into our computer system, I began thinking of all the places we could go and things we could do. I thought about hopping on a plane and heading to California, but luckily for my husband, I talked myself out of that idea. I then thought about Jackson Hole, but realized it was a 5 hour drive and I didn't get off work until 2:00, and it would just be a little too long of a drive for a short weekend. I then narrowed my thoughts to Utah and remembered the Shakespearean Festival and had to go. By the time I got off work I had talked my husband into my little scheme, bought tickets for 3 plays, and made room reservations at a hotel. Okay, so maybe I wasn't working as hard as I should have that day, but hey, it was Friday!
We were on the road by 4:00 and racing down so that we could attend the 'Tempest' which started at 7:30. We barely made it, walking into the theater 5 minutes before the show started. The show was terrific! The actors were tremendous and we had a great time. Checking into the hotel I was thrilled to find out that I was getting a room with a jacuzzi! Yes! For those of you who don't know, my tub at home is not much of a tub so I never take baths even though I love them. When staying in hotels I always appreciate the big tubs. :)
Saturday morning my wonderful, charming, adorable husband let us go down to the outlets in St. George. As soon as we got on the road the skies opened up and sheets of water poured down. I couldn't see 20 feet in front of me, the rain was so bad. This continued the entire way down. We finally made it to the stores and I found 60% off racks at the Dress Barn and I got three outfits there. We then each got super soft fleece windbreakers at Eddie Bauer and a pound of luscious caramel pecan fudge at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. It was an awesome shopping trip.
That afternoon we saw a play called 'Art' which was so well done. A comedic classic that questions what art really is and what friendship is worth. That night we returned to the theater for front row seats and Agatha Christie's 'Mousetrap'. The play is a murder mystery and is filled with Christie's trademark red herrings and interesting plot lines. We had such a blast!
Luckily for us, the rain cleared up over night and by Sunday morning it was bright and sunny, perfect weather for us to race home and be back just in time for church to start at 1:00. Needless to say we are a bit tuckered out and will be heading to bed shortly.
Reflecting upon the events of this weekend, I have been reminded that life needs to be lived to its fullest potential. People need to experience as much as they can and who you share those experiences with makes all the difference. I am lucky to be with such an amazing man who humors me and allows me to fulfill those spontaneous desires and takes the time to share those adventures with me. :)
6 years ago

1 comments:
Sweet! Hooray for spontaneous adventures and wonderful people to share them with!
The Shake Fest is awesome! I've only been once, but I loved it! The next time you decide to take such an adventure (and we're in town :) ), call up your bestest friend in the whole wide world and see if she wants to come!
(Um, in case you forgot, that bestest friend is ME!) ;)
Post a Comment