Tuesday, December 2, 2008

While the Enemy Assaileth...

I have been having some rough times lately. We have been going through some trials that have really put us through the wringer. Doubt, fear, and anxiety have been plaguing my mind and I have often felt myself faltering with the emotional and physical weight I feel has been placed upon me. It seems that all the powers of darkness have assembled themselves at my door and are simply waiting for me to give up. Unfortunately, instead of rousing my courage and fighting, I have felt my faith failing me and leaving me in a pit of despair.

This morning I began speaking with a friend who is engaged to be married. She was filled with all the usual fears and anxieties that most people have when they are doing something new and risky. As I offered my famous anti-anxiety advise, I realized that perhaps I needed to hear this more than she did. The words that tumbled out of my mouth were exactly what I myself needed to hear. I was relating to her the time when I was also engaged, and the how hardships that I faced assured me that Satan was pulling from all sides to bring us down. I also explained how I reacted to these trials. Recalling these experiences, I was brought face to face with a time when my faith was much stronger. The words I spoke to her were not from the current Anna, but from a younger, more faithful Anna.

The words were a testimony I have always had but had recently forgotten.

"This is where your trust in God really counts though. The way I see it, God knows what the future will bring. I know that if we stick close to Him, He will make sure that we are okay, no matter what happens."


Hearing this, I felt that a prayer had been answered, that I wasn't left alone in the cold of the world, but that perhaps I had just turned my back to the warmth of Our Savior.

At this time when so many are engulfed in the fears and the uncertainties of the world around us, let us remember to keep the faith and know that miracles are still happening daily. Even the small miracle of remembering past assurances was enough to make this day easier to face.

3 comments:

Al said...

You are supposed to CALL YOUR FRIENDS (ahem!) during hard times, girl!!! That's why we're here! Though I must apologize profusely for not being more pro-active about it... I am perfectly capable of calling you too!

I am here for you, despite the seeming distance.

I hope you continue to feel strengthened and fortified. The Savior loves you and He simply wants to do what is best for you, however hard it may seem at the time. You are not alone. :)

I love you!

Annalee said...

Thanks friend! I always appreciate your uplifting and sweet responses. I will remember to call you more often. :)

How are you doing, by the way?

Melissa said...

As inspired as I believe you were to write that response to your friend, I also believe that you were inspired to post it on your blog for all of us to read. You always have amazing advice....which is why you're usually the first one I come to for it!

I can relate to the hard and stressful times. It's hard when all of the doubts, fears, and stresses seem to constantly plague your thoughts. Keep your head up, and remember I'm here if you ever need to vent!

Love you!