Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Push in a New Direction?

Today a woman in my ward, whom I rarely speak to, came to visit me. I invited her in and offered her a seat on the couch as I sat across from her and tried to guess why she was there. With a look of total embarrassment, she asked me if I would be interested in being a co-owner, or even a managerial-type employee for her flower shop that she was re-opening. I was, quite frankly, shocked. Not knowing her exact intention, I informed her that I had no monetary resources to pour into this business, and that as co-owner, that would normally be expected. She was slightly taken aback and quickly apologized saying that she understood why I would think that, but she did not need anything like that from me. She simply wanted my advice, skills, and help to restart her business.

Having gotten that out in the open, I was more comfortable to continue the conversation, and figure out why a woman who barely knows me would ask me to be a co-owner of her business. I told her that I was flattered by her offer, and that it was nice of her to think of me. She replied in the most surprising way, saying, "I don't think it was my own idea. I only know that I trust you implicitly and that I felt I needed to ask you to be involved."

This one stuck, hard. Putting aside this interesting tidbit about her trusting me (which I still can't figure out), this whole week I have been focusing on transitioning. I was even thinking about going back to school for a second bachelors degree in graphic design. I had been looking for new opportunities, trying to find the right way to proceed, and all of a sudden this woman knocks on my door. I am scared in a way. It all seems bigger than I can handle.

So, I already know that I won't be a co-owner of any business but the one I already own, but it might be interesting to be an employee and get my hand in a new skill. Especially since being a florist ties so nicely with being a wedding planner and decorator.

So, I have some thinking to do and sadly I have a headache. It is going to be a long night. In the morning I am substituting for my mom's 1st grade class because she is having a hip replacement tomorrow morning. I AM TOO TIRED TO BE WORRIED ABOUT SO MANY THINGS!!! I am scared of this decision, nervous about my mom, and terrified of 20 six year olds on the last two days of school. Will this week ever end?

1 comments:

Al said...

Extra prayers will be said in your behalf, girl.

What can I do to help?