Monday, January 2, 2012

Christmas 2011

This was the first Christmas I have spent away from my family so I was worried that I would be super homesick, but this Christmas turned out quite lovely and special despite the separation.

We started out our celebrating by hosting our 1st Annual Ugly Sweater Party and boy was it fun! I cooked up quite a spread of food including my first ever attempt at my Grandma's homemade rolls. We also had a white elephant gift exchange which was really fun! We ended up with a black elephant carving from India and a CD of the Messiah.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures at the beginning so most of us had shed our sweaters by the end. I also was unable to get a pic of one of the other couples.


Alexander


Stephanie and Jack


Kelley and John


Kathy and Joe

Christmas Eve Alexander and I were invited to spend the afternoon with our good friends at their family party. We had an enjoyable time and it was a fun diversion, although a tad awkward at times. ;)

I spent the rest of the evening tiding the house and getting everything ready for Christmas. My mother instilled in me the idea that the house must be spotless on Christmas. We were promised Santa would not come until our rooms were clean, like really clean, as in everything out from under the bed clean. So I cleaned away.


The tree Christmas Eve

I loved going to Sacrament meeting on Christmas Day. It was such a beautiful way to celebrate the birth of our Savior and I appreciated the spirit that it brought into the rest of our activities.

We were blessed to be invited to eat Christmas dinner with our dear friends who we also shared Thanksgiving with. I made garlic mashed potatoes, sauerkraut with apples and bacon, homemade rolls and a coconut cream cake. Our hosts provided a succulent ham and other delicious accouterments. We then played a lively game of Lord of the Rings Monopoly which I accidentally won. ;)

Christmas evening I skyped with my family while they did the annual singing at Grandma's house. I admit to getting a bit teary eyed as we sang our favorite Christmas songs. However, I was so grateful for the modern technology that allowed me to be a part of the joyous gathering. I love and miss my family so much that this was an incredible blessing for me.

Christmas is my favorite time of the year and I am sorry to see it end. Thanks to all of those wonderful people who made this holiday so special for us and kept us from feeling lonely! Love you all!






Godiva Opening her New Ball


Our Annual Christmas Ornament

1 comments:

Annalee said...

Yes, a long time ago. It was the first time I had gone away for more than one day and she got really anxious and tore up the rug. Eventually I will replace it...