Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas Memories of Miracles

Christmas is my season. I think of it all year long and can hardly wait to change out the Thanksgiving decorations for the Christmas ornaments (poor Thanksgiving...). I adore everything about Christmas! The music, the smells (cinnamon and pine), the twinkling lights! There is nothing quite so spectacular as sitting in a dim room next to a glowing Christmas tree. I think it brings back the feelings of childhood, remembering how I would stare in amazement at how beautiful our tree always was.

Along with those feelings come a flood of memories that cannot contain themselves. So many of my Christmases have been filled with wonders and miracles and it would be a shame not to write some of them down.

I will preface these stories with the note that growing up my family was of humble means and thus, many years we found ourselves the recipients of other people's generosity and compassion.

My earliest Christmas memory is still tainted with the childhood joy I felt when I ran into the living room on Christmas morning and saw our couch literally covered with stuffed animals and dolls. I was probably three or four at the time and my eyes went wide. I then looked to the left and saw a little vinyl playhouse. It was essentially a square tent of cheap materials, but oh how I loved it! I still remember that it was decorated with red shutters around the windows and flowers along the bottom. I was so happy that year! As an adult I shared with my mom how much that Christmas had always stayed with me and she told me that was a year when they had had almost no money. She had gone to DI and bought all the stuffed animals for practically nothing. She had been so sad she couldn't buy new things and so worried that we wouldn't like it and she felt that it was a miracle that my sister and I were so happy.

My first memory of Christmas being given to us came when I was five. I had 3 younger siblings and my mother was younger than I am now (!). My father had recently been permanently disabled on the job, making it difficult for him to work. A group of unidentified elves doorbell ditched us leaving a live Christmas tree on our porch along with a box full of presents, including a beautiful pink stroller that I pushed around for years. I can still remember exactly where I was standing when my parents opened the door and I saw that brand new stroller, waiting to be filled with dolls and teddy bears! I was ecstatic!

Years later I remember being 10 or 11 years old. My family was once again fairly destitute and I remember my mother saying that we were not going to have Christmas presents that year. Since Christmas morning wasn't going to be the same, I opted to stay the night at my Great-Grandmother's house. Close to midnight my mom called us on the phone telling us that my dad had received a Christmas miracle. Just minutes earlier, quite late at night, my dad had sold an old car giving my parents money to buy us a little Christmas. Since no stores were open on Christmas day, my parents left early on Boxing day and we had "Christmas morning" on the 26th instead.

When I was a teenager, for several years someone in our ward (we think, they were anonymous) would leave a box on our porch containing two presents for each of us. One of the presents was always a shirt or a sweater and the other was a toy or other gift. I remember one particular year when I was in high school and I was so elated to receive a popular and expensive brand of sweatshirt in my favorite colors and a bottle of Tommy Girl perfume (which was all the rage). My parents would never have been able to afford either of these gifts and it meant so much to me that someone would take the time to choose something that a self-conscious 15 year old would be excited to wear to school.

I am fully aware that Christmas is not about presents and that my family didn't need to be given gifts to be happy. However, the joy comes not from the present itself, but in the giving and the receiving. The simple act of being able to give someone something that they would appreciate brings an inner peace and joy that is indescribable and is the essence of the Christmas spirit. The receiver too feels the love of friends and of our Savior, knowing that they were being thought of and that the Lord cares enough for each of us to give us the little things that may be small and unimportant that we wouldn't normally be able to have. I think this is the true miracle of Christmas: being able to feel and share the love of our Savior with those around us. :)

1 comments:

lauramunn said...

Reading your memories, I can relate. When I was a kid and my Dad passed away, the years before my mom got remarried were most hard. Your memories also bring back fresh tender feelings too though; our family has been struggling financially for about four Christmases now while my husband is in school and I stay home with the kiddo's (doing daycare). Every year I wonder how Christmas will happen, but something always works out! It IS a miracle. Yes Christmas isn't about the gifts, but it's humbling to have the help and opportunity to receive it or be blessed in unexplained ways. I know I will never forget these Christmases and am grateful for them.

Thanks for sharing.