When I was about 5 years old or so, my parents had a little birthday party for me. I remember sitting in the kitchen with kids from the neighborhood. I remember eating cake and wondering why there were so many kids there.
When I was a couple years older, maybe 7 or 8, I had requested the Barbie Makeup Head. Supposedly it came with real makeup that you could put on and take off. I was very excited when I opened up the present from Mom and Dad and saw the shiny, fake hair and plastic smile of the "life-sized" Barbie head. When I opened the makeup, however, it was also shiny and plastic. This was simply not good and I was heartbroken. I cried and threw a temper-tantrum. I distinctly remember the sadness on Mom's face as she said they couldn't afford the "real-make-up" doll. I went to my room and came back 5 minutes later feeling very contrite about the selfishness of my actions. This birthday memory has haunted me ever since.
When I turned 8, I received my first hair crimper from my cousin. It was pink and marked a life-changing event in the history of my hair. The lovely crimper served me well for the next 15 years. That same day we had a party in my Grandma's backyard, complete with blue tarp slip and slide. Totally worth the bruised knees!
On my 10th birthday, I had a birthday party with my friends from school. I had just discovered the amazing-ness of Moose Bars and boldly told my mother that I did not want ice cream for my party, only Moose Bars. Glorious little treats, I think my mother was actually relived to not serve ice cream.
On one of my pre-teen birthdays (I can't remember which), Grandma came to my house and told me that a good thing to do on my birthday would be to do "A Hundred Pick-up" (also known as cleaning up). I told Grandma that it was my birthday and I didn't want to clean. Then I felt bad and cleaned up anyway. Stupid guilt trips...
On my long-awaited 16th birthday, my friend Marie invited me over to her house. After a couple of hours, she said she had a camp meeting so she had to take me home (she could drive almost an entire year before me). Upon arriving home, I walked into the family room only to be ambushed by all of my friends. It was awesome and the only surprise party I have ever been given. We had water balloons and a pinata and I was overwhelmed by how awesome everyone was. I still love all you guys!
Ten years after my 16th birthday, I am at work, sitting in my office. I am trying to act cool, like today is just any other day, but I really appreciate the special attention my friends, family, and co-workers have shown me. When I arrived this morning at work, I was greeted by the banner and bouquet my co-worker had brought me (she rocks!). All the girls here at work went out to lunch to celebrate and we ate gelato. Around 2:30, everyone from our department came in singing Happy Birthday and making a lot of noise. Most of my siblings have called or texted, and dear friends have sent birthday wishes via phone calls and facebook. And finally, but not least of all, my sweet husband took me shopping yesterday and made sure I was taken care of. So thank you to everyone who made me feel special today on my 26th birthday.
Hopefully we can spend many more birthdays together sharing our friendship and happiness. I love you all!!
6 years ago

4 comments:
So glad it was such a great day.
BLAST! Anna, I AM THE SUCKIEST FRIEND E-V-E-R!!! (But if it makes you feel any better, I haven't wished ANYONE a happy birthday the past few months. My brain just hasn't gone there...dropping the ball BIG TIME!!!)
HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!!!
I do love you and I do care. But, sadly, I can't do it all!
I loved all your birthday memories!! They all sound just like you-(surprise surprise)! I'm glad it was a good day.
Thanks ladies! You are all awesome!! :)
Post a Comment