Thursday, August 7, 2008

Opinion Leaders

My company has a new book out entitled, "Influencer". In correlation with this book, they are also offering trainings on how to become an Influencer. Everyone in the company must take the course, and last week was my turn. It was a good class, focusing on goals and changing something you haven't been successful at changing (there were many things on my list). You can pretty much count on hearing more about this topic later. However, one of the concepts that stuck out to me the most wasn't even a main topic. It was all about convincing Opinion Leaders to go along with your idea, and thus change something in your company, family, etc.

Okay, so I honestly didn't care much about convincing opinion leaders, I just wanted to become one. An opinion leader is someone whose opinion is valued by everyone around him. An opinion leader is sought out by his friends and colleagues and is highly valued and respected.

Wouldn't it be cool to be someone that everyone goes to for ideas, input, and opinions? It's not really the idea of being popular that appeals to me, it's the idea that of being perceived as being knowledgeable and wise in your circle of influence.

If you are like me, you will want to know how to become an opinion leader. Here are some steps to achieving that goal:
First, you have to possess a great deal of knowledge in the issue at hand. Second, you have to be trustworthy and care more about other people's best interests so you are not seen as manipulative. Lastly, you have to be generous with your time. Take time to talk to others and be accessible.
If you do these things correctly, you will be both respected and connected. :) *(Patterson, Grenny, Maxfield, McMillan, Switzler; Influencer; pg 153-154)



**By the way, these authors are experts. They are also my bosses, the top CEO's, or as we call them, "The Authors". On Monday, two of them took me and 2 other new people out to lunch to get to know us and see what we thought of the company. They instantly won my respect and it was nice to see people practice what they preach.

3 comments:

Al said...

Sweetness! It's always fun to work on something...achieving goals is insanely satisfying. I should be better about setting and sticking to my goals. Hmm.

Anyway, guess what day my sister Anna is getting married!? Nov. 8! If I remember correctly, that's the same day as Jen, right? Craziness! How are plans going for that, btw?

How are you!? We SO need to hang out! What can I help you with for your upcoming events? I feel like I've sort of dropped the ball on that one...SORRY!

Annalee said...

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!? There is something in the air with people who haven't dated very long deciding to get married on Nov 8. Yeah, that's when Jen is getting married, but if Anna wants to use anything that I have that Jen's not using, you are welcome to it. :)

Adam B said...

Having a public relations degree, I happen to know a bit about opinion leaders. :) It was interesting to hear someone else mention that, after not having worked in PR in a while.

Most opinion leaders that people recognize as such are those who have natural authority, though. Those in management positions, talk show hosts, newscasters, etc. These are the people you go to in order to influence a large number of people.

But I like the way you talked about how you want to be someone whose opinion is valued and sought after by those around you. I think that's a fairly good endeavor. :)