Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Chat Queen

Since quitting my job, I have accidentally dropped out of society. I didn't realize how much I crave talking to other women until I stopped going to work and chatting with Al for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. I liked it best how Marjorie Hinckley put it, "Women need other women". It's true though, we love our husbands but sometimes just need to talk to someone that can keep up with us and our rapidly changing thoughts. Only another woman can truly appreciate and participate in that kind of a conversation.

So today, I randomly decided to attend the book club for our relief society (you know, one of those enrichment groups). I picked up the book at the library at 3:30 today and read enough of it to be able to participate a little. At 7:00 I showed up at a door I had never been to before and tried to feel like I belonged. The funny thing is, I did belong. In fact, I became a little too comfortable and the other 6 women in attendance became privy to my views on: 1)women in Afghanistan 2)the Holocaust 3)the current presidential race 4)German in-laws and anything else that spurted from my lips. I couldn't make the waterfall of words stop! I just kept talking and talking, like I was the expert everyone wanted to listen to!

And then, as we were all leaving, I began talking to the woman who had hosted the book club and whom I have a great amount of respect for (she has always been super nice to me). Gradually we walked away from the open door and sat on the couch and talked for 2 more hours! She just let me keep talking about everything and I had so much fun!

Thinking about it afterwards, I cannot help but feel a bit embarrassed for having talked so much. I frequently find myself in this situation, thinking that I drove the person I was talking to nuts and that they will now try to keep their distance from me.

More and more I am finding evidence of what my mother fondly calls my "adult ADHD". Doing everything with a slightly unnerving amount of energy and overwhelming those who are near enough to be affected or are accidentally caught up in my tornado of words, like those of you reading this blog. Poor people, If I were you, I would run very quickly in the opposite direction so you don't get sucked up. ;)

3 comments:

Alexander said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexander said...

That reminds me of your old boss looking over your shoulder suspiciously and asking "Is that chat?!" :D

Al said...

Ha! How true it is! Oh how I miss the hours of daily conversation!!! My soul is most definitely deprived! We should fix that...since it is something we can so easily fix. :)

Glad the book club was exciting and fun! I avoid Enrichment groups at all possible costs...how evil is that!? Perhaps someday they'll do something that peaks my interest...

I'm not intelligent enough for book clubs! ;)

The sashes are coming along nicely. We ran out of brown thread, but no worries! What is your schedule like? When would you be free for ROUND TWO!? :)