Every once in awhile it's important to take a step back and review where you stand, acknowledging your accomplishments and taking inventory of where you need to work harder. It's so interesting to think back to a year ago and compare where you are today to where you were then. In the past, there have been some times when I felt as if I were stuck in a rut and not moving in any direction, which is kind of a depressing feeling. This year, however, I can see a significant improvement in my life. :) Let me draw you a graph of how I feel about my accomplishments in life compared to previous years:
This chart illustrates my personal growth in some of the major areas of my life. (Please note that this chart represents how I feel I am doing and does not represent any actual numbers or data. This may or may not be because it's currently 11:23pm and I have to get up at 5:15am for seminary.)
Education: In May of 2013, Alexander's mentor professor suggested I apply for the MBA program and after considering it for a few weeks I decided to go for it. I picked up a study book at Barnes and Noble and started studying. I took the test 4 weeks later and was totally shocked when I passed and was then accepted into the program at UMKC. This week marks the completion of my first year of my master's program and the halfway mark!! Woohoo!!
Job Satisfaction: In May of 2012, I was working in what might have been a decent job if the company had ever decided to actually hire me. Instead they kept me as a sort of long term temp. I was even managing other temp workers and they couldn't find it in their hearts to give me a real job! It was ridiculous. I was getting increasingly frustrated. Fast forward to May of 2013, when I was unemployed because the previously mentioned employer had closed my department and refused to give me a job in another department because, quote "it just doesn't seem like your heart is in this job". THAT'S BECAUSE YOU DON'T VALUE ME ENOUGH TO PAY ME A FULL SALARY AND GIVE ME BENEFITS EVEN THOUGH I HAVE BEEN KEEPING THIS ENTIRE DEPARTMENT RUNNING! Suffice it to say, I wasn't sad to have left though I wasn't making much progress in the work department either.
In March of 2013, after finding myself without a job, I decided to reopen my wedding business in KC. As of May, there hadn't been too much progress.
Family (Progress Toward Growth): This has everything to do with adding to our little family, rather than my relationship with my husband (though we've never been better). In 2012, we started the process of looking into getting our homestudy completed. We didn't get very far. Toward the end of 2013, we finally succeeded in getting certified and we are now looking for opportunities to add children to our family. I feel we are finally making some progress, slow though it might be.
Scripture Study: I have often found it difficult to keep up with my scripture study. However, thanks to my calling as Seminary teacher, I've been forced to spend a bit more time with the Book of Mormon. My understanding of the gospel has grown tenfold this past year because of the hours I've spent devoted to seminary.
Church Service: Continuing along the Seminary line of thought, this has to do with my church calling. In May of 2012, I was serving as the 2nd Counselor in the Young Women Presidency, which I loved. It kept me busy serving with women and girls that I loved. In May of 2013, I was serving as the 2nd Counselor in the Relief Society Presidency, which I also loved. The women I served with are amazing and I learned so much from each of them. Both of those callings were time intensive and very active. However, they don't hold a candle to my service as a Seminary teacher. Instead of 4 hours a week on church calling assignments, I am spending closer to 12 hours each week, which takes up a significant amount of time, and is especially difficult with the early morning hours. Don't get me wrong though, I love my calling and I love the kids I work with. I also really love how it forces me to start each day on a spiritual high. :)
In summary, you can see that I'm doing pretty okay in the areas mentioned above. Areas that could use a little more attention may include: cleaning my house, doing yard work, planting a garden, doing my hair, visiting teaching, and member missionary service (though I did go with the sister missionaries on a church tour, which was awesome). I won't draw a chart for these items because it would be somewhat depressing, (but know that goals are being set) besides I prefer to focus on the good things. :)
I would love to hear the areas where you feel you are improving your life! Feel free to share in the comments or to respond with a blog post on this topic on your own blog. :)


0 comments:
Post a Comment