This past month I lost one of my dearest Kansas City friends. Leila passed away suddenly and tragically and I am still heartbroken about losing her. She was so sincere and loving and was a true friend to me. She came through many times when I needed help most and I will always be grateful for her influence in my life.
I remember seeing Leila in sacrament meeting soon after moving into the ward. She was so full of confidence, wearing a beautiful scarf and sky-high heels. She spoke with eloquence and wisdom beyond her years and I was shocked to learn she was only in her mid-twenties. We later got to know each other better at a mutual friend's Sunday evening gathering. We were fast friends. A few weeks later, after hearing me share my story of my trial to have children, she came to me and offered her advice on adoption, as she was a family attorney. I felt so relieved to have someone to ask all my legal questions and who could give me a good referral on a wonderful attorney.
In April 2012, we served as tour guides together at the Kansas City Temple Open House. As we were waiting to lead our groups, I mentioned that I was a little nervous and, as she always did, Leila assured me that I would be great. She never let me belittle myself, she was the most encouraging person I've ever encountered. She quickly taught me that I shouldn't voice my doubts, as she would inevitably make a big deal out of my competence.
Our friendship grew as we attended each other's parties (we both LOVE parties!). When she was "sort of" dating her future husband, Leila and I conspired for me to invite Sky and Leila separately over for dinner, thereby sneaking them another date. It turned out to be a really fun evening and the first of many date-night dinners that we shared with them.
More recently, when I brought my wedding business out to KC, she was one of the first to offer to help. And she did! Even though she was several months pregnant, Leila was my saving grace at a wedding I did in June. I honestly couldn't have done it without her. She was a constant support and I told her that she was thereafter my personnel manager and that I needed her at all my events.
On August 2, I was doing a large event and she had committed to helping with the transportation of my workers. However, that morning she was very sick and couldn't come. Instead, I had her wonderful sister, Alisha, who willingly helped me even though she was only there to take pictures. Apparently life-savers run in that family! I will ever be grateful that I was able to stop and talk to Leila at church briefly that Sunday, August 4. She was lovely in her cute coral dress and apologetic for not helping me. I assured her that it all worked out and to tell her sister again how much I appreciated her. We separated on the promise that I would be bringing some fruit to her house in the next few days. I now wish I had gone over and visited her that evening.
At 3am the next morning, having rushed to the ER for abdominal pains, she had a seizure and lost consciousness and never woke again. Her last words were to make sure her baby was okay. It turns out she had a brain hemorrhage and there was nothing the doctors could do. She was exactly 36 weeks pregnant and they took the baby by C-section within minutes. He was small but healthy.
She spent 6 days in a coma on life support in the ICU before her family decided to let her go on Aug 10, the day that I was supposed to have thrown her baby shower. I spent much of that week there, sharing in the sweet spirit of her wonderful family and trying to come to grips with losing someone so unexpectedly who had so much more life to live. That week in the hospital was a bittersweet experience for me and I will treasure the opportunity I had to spend a few quiet moments by her bedside.
I am so grateful for the many prayers offered on behalf of Leila's family for I am sure that I too received some of that comfort. The Lord has a plan for all of us but sometimes it is so hard to understand that plan in our mortality. More than ever I am so grateful for the knowledge I have of the Plan of Happiness and that we can be with our loved ones again.
Leila and Sky at our 2013 St. Patrick's Day Party earlier this year:
6 years ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment