Friday, September 9, 2011

Goodbye Summer!

Goodbye Summer, hello beautiful Autumn! Labor day weekend reminded me of why I have fallen in love with Kansas City. Despite the previous week being rather terrible (I got a flat tire in a sketchy neighborhood, replaced all the tires & fixed alignment and then the next day the car wouldn't start due to a faulty fuel pump) the weekend was an absolute blast!

On Friday we headed to Crown Center to enjoy our 2nd annual Irish Fest. We literally stuffed ourselves with some of the best food of the Old World and laughed at all the odd merchandise one can buy at an Irish Fest (underwear decorated with Guinness beer insignia anyone?). I ate a frozen chocolate-covered banana and a meat pie and Alexander enjoyed fish and chips and a sausage roll. The best part of the evening was sitting down with a glass of ice cold, freshly squeezed lemonade and listening to the fine stylings of the Irish musicians. I was seriously giddy about how perfect it was.

On Saturday I participated in a three-ring circus to get my car out of the shop and the rental car returned (honestly, they would be the most wasted 2 hours of my life if I didn't have a good friend to spend them with!). I then took a much needed nap before we celebrated a late birthday dinner for Alexander at the tastiest Chinese restaurant in Kansas City. Best General Tso's chicken ever!

On Sunday we were invited over for a game night with a bunch of other families in the ward. Everyone (except me 'cause I'm lame) brought yummy desserts and we had a great time getting to know each other better. Ever played Mafia with a group of adults? It's hilarious!

We had work and school off on Monday so we went with Joe & Kathy to the dollar movie and saw Kung Fu Panda 2 (which is so cute!). We then went way early to the Kansas City Symphony in the Park concert. We got the best seats and enjoyed the sun while eating snacks and playing Citadels. The concert was amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the conductor jump and dance as he directed such awesomeness as: the Imperial March from Star Wars, Nimrod from Elgar's Enigma Variations, Smetana's Moldau, and Pirates of the Caribbean. I was also really entertained by all the kids practicing to be fine arts majors. I saw some enthusiastic conductors, a lovely ballerina and a curly-haired toddler shaking her booty. We ended the night eating peach ice cream and laughing at old school Divine Comedy.

To be honest, the last thing I wanted was to get up and go to work on Tuesday, which was a coincidence since when I got to work they told me they decided to use the funding for my position elsewhere and were letting me go. Yesterday was my last day on the job at Mickey D's, so I'm gearing up for my next adventure!

1 comments:

Shan said...

Did the movie make you cry cause it sure did me. If we ever adopt, we are for sure buying that movie.