Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Christmas is my absolute favorite time of year! I love everything about it (except maybe the snow!). I started up the Christmas music in October and waited anxiously for the socially-accepted time to put up Christmas decorations.



We started our celebrations off with a boom right after we got back from Thanksgiving. I had my decorations up in record time and we kicked it all off with our famous 2nd annual Ugly Sweater & White Elephant Party. We had such a blast!

On December 21, we had a little family party with our little tiny family of me, Alexander and Godiva. We opened a few presents and played a little bit before finishing our packing for Arizona.



Godiva got to spend Christmas with her furry friends at our favorite boarding place. We always feel so guilty leaving her there, not knowing if she really enjoys it or not. I think we were feeling especially bad this time to leave her over Christmas (not that she knows the difference, but still...). We had a little answer to our prayers when we arrived at the boarding place. Godiva was whining and couldn't wait to get out of the car, at which point she ran right in, said hi to the managers and ran right to the cage doors to play with her friends.   (This is a play-all-day facility, with separate kennels for nighttime.) She didn't care one iota about me, she just couldn't wait to play. Since this is the first time she had ever done that, I stood and watched her for a bit. She immediately met up with a black lab about her same size and started running laps. The owner said that the dog's name is Gracie and that she is always there when Godiva is there and they are inseparable. I thought it was cute that Godiva had a best friend. :) It also made it much easier to leave for a week and not worry.

We set off bright and early on the 22nd headed toward sunny Phoenix. The flight was a bit rough and uncomfortable, but we survived. Alexander had hurt his knee (I think he tore a ligament but that's another story..) a few days earlier so it was a bit harder on him with the cramped conditions. When we arrived in Phoenix we were met up by Alexander's dad, Peter, and step-mom, DeeAn. They took us back to their new home and fixed us up a nice lunch. I then went with DeeAn to do some Christmas shopping for less-fortunate families in their ward and I think I was actually pretty helpful (some teenager girls are probably really happy I was there...).

The welcome feast that Peter laid out for us

Close up of the beautiful tomato salad, complete with rose petals
The rest of the week was filled with really good food, fun company and great entertainment. Peter and DeeAn completely spoiled us. Peter is an amazing, gourmet chef and I became his sous chef that week.  Peter made sure we had a good breakfast each day and we never had less than 10 people for dinner so we were kept busy. (As an aside, on Christmas day I went to work in the kitchen at 2:00 and didn't leave until 7:00 when dinner was served!)

Here are the highlights of our week in Arizona:


  • Amazing food made by Peter
  • Attending both Sebastian & Bethy's ward as well as Peter & DeeAn's to watch their ward Christmas programs (6 hours of church and I wasn't even doing anything for my RS calling!)
  • Going to The Nutcracker ballet on Christmas Eve
  • Going to The Hobbit with Sebastian and Bethany
  • Seeing Les Mis at the Fork and Screen (dinner with the movie!)
  • Visiting Alexander's mother's headstone in the cemetary
  • Hanging out with Robert and Natalie and their cute kids
  • Chatting on the phone with my family back in Utah
  • Visiting the Musical Instrument Museum
  • Spending time with Grandma Alvord
  • Contemplating the art at the Marshall-LeKae Gallery owned by Peter and DeeAn
  • Singing at the top of my lungs in the high-ceiling rooms of the house when no-one else was there (fabulous acoustics!)
  • Getting a phone call from my missionary brother Tyler on Christmas Day!! 


We arrived home late on the 29th to a snowy Kansas City feeling like we had fully used up that week. It was so good to spend time with the family there in Arizona, as the last time we were there was for Seb & Bethy's wedding in Sept of 2011.

So grateful for everyone who made this holiday so special! We are truly blessed! :)




0 comments: