Some amazing things have been happening in Kansas City these past few weeks and we have been blessed to be able to play a part in them.
As you may be aware, the LDS Kansas City Temple was completed at the end of March and the open house was held during the month of April. We were asked to step up and be active missionaries, inviting everyone to attend the Open House. The church gave us lovely invitations to pass out to our friends, so I passed out a bunch at work and Alexander took them to school. I'm not sure if anyone actually went to see the temple, but it took all my courage just to invite them!
Alexander and I were asked to be hosts for one of the days of the open house. That means we were able to be tour guides and lead the groups through the temple. I was so nervous about it beforehand, not sure what I would say and worried about if I would be able to answer the questions people asked. However, it turned out to be an amazing experience. At one point right before I was to begin a tour I was so nervous about what I would say and if it would be what the people needed to hear. I had a distinct thought come to my mind saying "This is the Lord's work and He will not let it fail." After that the Spirit was so strong and calming that it was almost too easy. :)
The majority of the people that I led were not LDS so it was a neat experience. My favorite question was when we were at the baptistery and a woman asked how we baptized the dead. I explained that we did it by proxy, meaning that if I wanted to do a baptism for my dead grandmother, then I would be baptized for her, in her name, and then she has the choice to accept it or not. The woman was so surprised, her face was hilarious. I came to realize that people think we hold funerals in the temple and we baptize their bodies before they are buried. I never would have thought! Anyway, the temple is so amazing and so gorgeous! The whole temple is decorated with an olive branch theme, symbolizing the church offering an olive branch of peace to the people of Missouri. It was such a special and exciting experience to be part of it all. I only wish I could do it over and over again!
This last Saturday, after the very last temple tour, a special fireside was held for the Young Women in the surrounding stakes. We listened to a fantastic testimony shared by the girl who will be the first bride sealed in this temple. She spoke on preparing for the temple and her words were inspired. After the talks, the girls were given a special tour of the temple which included the Bride's Room, which wasn't part of the regular tours. This room is beyond stunning! The temple matron's assistant had each girl stand in front of the floor-length mirror and visualize herself standing there in her wedding dress and being sealed to her sweetheart. It brought tears to my eyes to see each of my girls stand there and I had a fervent prayer that they would each find themselves getting married in the temple someday.
![]() |
| My beautiful young women |
To get ready for the temple dedication, our Young Women and Young Men are working on a cultural celebration of singing and dancing for Pres Monson and Elder Holland. The theme of the program is "Of One Heart in the Heartland". It is so fun to watch the kids working so hard. They are doing all sorts of dances, including ragtime swing (called the Kansas City Kitty) and the quickstep. I'm only sad that I'm not 10 years younger and out there with them. That celebration will be held on May 5 and then the temple will be dedicated on May 6 so it's coming up very quickly!
We are so grateful to have the blessing of a temple so close to our home! I think in Utah it was easy for me to take the temple for granted, but out here where we have had to drive over four hours each way to attend the temple, it has become clear what an incredible blessing it was to live practically right next door to the Provo Temple. We are committed to ensuring that the temple is frequently used and many of the members out here want to overfill the temple and exceed all expectations.
I love to see the temple!


0 comments:
Post a Comment