Saturday, June 25, 2011

Girls Camp

When I was first called into YW, all I could think about was how cool it was that I would get to go to girls camp. :) I loved it when I was a teenager so I knew I would love it as an adult. Our stake theme was "We're S.E.T (Seeking Eternal Treasures)". We decided that our ward would be Indiana Jones in Egypt and the girls were super psyched.

Growing up we always had little accessories to wear to let everyone know what ward we were in, so I took that as my job. I made little specimen bags similar to what Indiana Jones wears, little compass snakeskin wristbands, and then got little camo lanyards and put tiny binoculars on them (that actually worked!). I also made neck cooler snakes which had a gel in them that when dipped in water would stay wet and keep you cool. These were serious lifesavers when the afternoons got hot and humid!



Before camp, I had three main concerns that made me sort of nervous: ticks, chiggers, and super hot humidity. All of these were super valid. First, there are WAY more ticks out here than in Utah, it was practically guaranteed that you would get at least one. Also, chiggers are horrible. They are worse than any tick or mosquito, leaving red itchy circles that torture the person for days. As for my third point, the temperatures have been up in the 90's with really high humidity making it feel suffocatingly hot. Before I left I prayed that these wouldn't be a problem for me and I can gratefully say that none of these were issues for me. Pretty much every girl found at least one tick on her, some of them just walking on their arms or legs, some embedded. However, I escaped without ever seeing one on me. Also, only one girl got bit by chiggers so that was a miracle (sadly not for her, but she was a trooper). The temperatures were not AS hot as they could be and the humidity was low, so with our neck coolers and shade, we survived.

I had a blast with the other leaders and the girls. We pretty much laughed the entire time, creating hilarious inside jokes that will probably haunt us forever. One of my favs was with one of the MiaMaids named Bille.
Bille: Sis Strub, you look different.
Me: Because I just took my sunglasses off that have been on all day?
Bille: No, like different than usual, like on Sundays.
Me: Oh, you mean cause I don't have any makeup on and my hair is a disaster?
Bille: Oh yeah! That's it!

Yeah, we are never gonna forget that one. ;)

Another funny moment was when I was doing a tick check on Kyra. I said, "Ok Kyra, do a more thorough check in your tent. I don't see any, but check up your shorts". Those nearby swear that I paused after 'check' and that it sounded like "butt check, up your shorts". Haha! I know, it's not as funny here, but it was HILARIOUS then!

Anyway, I could list a hundred similar moments like this, but suffice it to say, I had a blast and girls camp was a total success. :)

I only took pictures the first day, cause after that I apparently forgot I had a camera. Here are some of the pics, most of them were taken during the level skits:

Kate modeling the awesome snake neck cooler:


Boy, I looked like a mess!


Some of my beehives peeking in my tent:


Kyra as the Tinman in the 4th yr skit:


Jasmyne as the Cowardly Lion in the 4th yr skit:


School of Fish in the 3rd yr skit:


Our wonderful stake leaders doing a synchronized swimming skit:


Watching Skits:


After the Skits:

1 comments:

Shan said...

Looks like a ton of fun. I'm praying for the day when I get to be in YW and go to girl's camp. :)